Saturday, April 23, 2011

Helping Others

          I have sponsored several children over the past 6 years.  The children I sponsor are young girls who live in impoverished nations whose parents cannot support their family and afford the costs of schooling, clothing, and food.  The photo shows one of my sponsored children.  Her name is Magda. This photo shows Magda when I first began sponsoring her.  She was only three years old.  Through my sponsorship, Magda is able to stay in school.  She receives things that are necessary for schooling in her country, Guatemala, that her family might not otherwise be able to afford.  Every year she receives her school uniform and new shoes as well as school supplies so that she can attend school.  Many young children living in poverty are not able to go to school because their parents can't afford these essentials or because the families need their children to work to earn money to help support the family.  Every few months I receive letters from Magda.  She is now nine years old and has started to write her letters by herself. I always enjoy reading them and writing her back.  It has been a great joy for me to sponsor children around the world and help them to complete their education, receive medical care, and food that is necessary for survival.  The cost is just a small cost for me, but a great benefit to the families, many of whom have incomes under $100 a month and no other access to healthcare. I am greatly blessed to be able to give to others and to help these families who are in need so that they can feel less of a burden. The photo below is a photo of Magda today at nine years of age. There are many things we can do to help others and not all of them cost money.   We could visit the sick in the hospital, or help the elderly who cannot leave their homes.  We could also feed the homeless at a soup kitchen or work at a clothing pantry. Even simpler things include helping our neighbor or our own family by babysitting, or cooking or cleaning for them.  Last week we celebrated Earth Day.  Think about what great things we can do for our environment by cleaning up the beach or the park, turning the lights off to save electricity, or turning off the water.  Everyone can do a little something to help others and when you do you will definately reap the rewards.  When my sponsored children write to me about their lives and I see the benefits they receive from my small gift and I feel like I am doing something special in the world.  Reach out to someone in your community, help a neighbor, family member or your teacher, or do something to take care of our environment. You say you are too young?  No, you aren't!   You can make a difference!  It doesn't matter how young or old you are!  Everyone can do something to help others!



 Vocabulary:
1.sponsored: to help; give aid to
2.several: more than one
3.impoverished: poor
4.necessary: things that are needed
5.essential:  what one must have
6.complete: finish
7.survival: to live
8.benefit: to gain; something that helps one
9.income: what you earn; money you receive from working
10.access: to be able to receive; to have near you for use
11.burden: great stress upon you; a heavy load; a lot of pressure
12.elderly: old
13. simpler: easier

Find the vocabulary words in the puzzle below.

S   I   M   P   L   E   R   Q   H   C   B   U  B   D   D   O   L
G  H  K   W  E   L   D   E   R    L   Y  H  E    K   F   S   A
R  I   W   Q   S   N   L   P   F    S    U  D  N   Q   A   S   Z
G  I   P    O   R   A   C  C   E    S    S   Y  E    I    L   J    I
R  E  W  Q   A   E    B  U   R   D    E   N  F   J    G   S   N
S  P   O   N   S   O    R  R   E    D   Y  W  I    E    R  V  C
M G  J    C   O   M   P   L   E    T    E  D  T   H    F   I    O
W Q  I    A   X   R    D  S   U    R    V  I   V  A    L  W  M
I    P  T   W  Y   F    W  E   S    S     E  T   I   A    L  E   E
N  E  C    E  S    S    A   R   Y   S     E  V  E   R   A  L   K
W I   R    I   M   P    O   V   E   R     I   S   H   E   D  N  H

Grammar Point: Count Nouns and Uncount Nouns
There are count nouns and uncountable nouns in the English language.  Count nouns are nouns that have a singular and plural form, for example, apple.  We can have one apple, or we can have three apples.  Therefore, apple is a count noun because it has a singular and plural form.  Uncount nouns have only one form.  For example, money is an uncount noun.  We can have only money, not moneys.  

Activity:
In the above paragraph there are many nouns.  Some are count nouns and some are uncount nouns.  Please look through the paragraph and find at least ten nouns.  Then, label these nouns as either count nouns or uncount nouns. 

www.compassion.com










No comments:

Post a Comment